Associate Professor of Folklore and Scandinavian Studies
464 Denney Hall,
164 West 17th Avenue,
Areas of Expertise
- Old Norse-Icelandic literature
- Nineteenth-century Norwegian literature and culture
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley (2006)
Merrill Kaplan specializes in Old Norse-Icelandic myth and literature, supernatural legend and folk belief, and the places these categories intersect.
Articles on: Irruptions of the past and the supernatural in Icelandic sagas; Out-Thoring Thor in the Great Saga of Olaf Tryggvason; Ibsen's Dramatic Realism and the publication of folklore collections; The Icelandic reception of Ibsen's The Vikings at Helgeland.
Major courses taught:
- Nordic Mythology
- The Medieval Icelandic Saga
- Old Norse-Icelandic Language
- Folklore Genres