Student Workshop w/ panelists Frank Mauceri, Nick Blakey, and Andrew Russ: Archiving the Northeast Ohio Music Scene
Co-sponsored by Smog Veil Records, The Barnett Center for Integrated Arts and Enterprise, Wexner Center for the Arts, the Departments of English, Comparative Studies, Dance and History, and Used Kids Records.
This discussion is now full and no longer open for registration.
- Attend panel discussion on February 27th 2015
- Attend workshop with panelists (details on this page)
- Complete required reading:
- Short article on Peter Laughner's contribution to the Cleveland underground music scene
- Peter Laughner's "If you choose, choose to go"
- Lester Bangs' "Peter Laughner is Dead"
- Angela Rodel's "Extreme Noise Terror: Punk Rock and the Aesthetics of Badness" in Bad Music: The Music We Love to Hate, ed. by Christopher Washburne and Maiken Derno 235-256. (2004)
- Write a reflection paper (6 pages for grads and 3 pages for undergrads)
Please RSVP to and request PDFs of readings from Bishal Karna at email@example.com. Lunch will be served.
If you require assistance to attend these events, please contact the organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Smog Veil Records was founded in Cleveland, Ohio in 1991 and focuses on underground, challenging and bombastic music. The label roster includes Rocket From The Tombs, Batusis (Cheetah Chrome and Sylvain Sylvain of New York Dolls), Peter Laughner, Pere Ubu, Complaints Choir, This Moment In Black History, OBNOX, The New Hope v/a compilation, Tin Huey, Easter Monkeys, Pistol Whip, Unknown Instructors (Mike Watt, George Hurley, Joe Baiza, Dan McGuire, Raymond Pettibon, David Thomas), Teacher’s Pet, Thor, Amps II Eleven, New Christs (featuring Rob Younger of Radio Birdman), Rubber City Rebels and others. The label and various bands on the roster have been featured in esteemed publications including Rolling Stone, Wire, SPIN, The New York Times, Artforum Magazine, Audubon Magazine and CBS Sunday Morning.